We made lentil burgers the night we harvested our mung bean sprouts. Our recipe is adapted from our homeboy's segment here.
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 1/3 cup oatmeal
- 1/4 cup finely diced onion
- 1/4 cup finely diced peeled carrot
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup diced mushrooms
- Breadcrumbs as needed
- Canola oil
- Whole wheat buns
- Plain, Nonfat yogurt
- First, make the dressing by julienne-ing (?) the cucumbers (I just learned what that word means, basically slicing it into thin, match-like sticks) and adding them to the yogurt. Set aside and refrigerate.
- Cook brown lentils in 2 cups of boiling water, covered, for 15-20 minutes and drain. At the same time, cook the oatmeal in 2/3 cup water until done.
- Saute the onions, carrot, garlic, mushrooms and a handful of sprouts with a splash of oil until softened.
- Add lentils, oatmeal and sauteed veggies to a large bowl and mash it all together.
- Sprinkle a handful of dried breadcrumbs and mash in until the consistency is nice and sticky for shaping the patties. I probably used a cup of breadcrumbs.
- Saute the patties in a nonstick pan with some oil until they are browned on both sides and heated through.
- Serve them up on a whole wheat bun with a dollop of cucumber-yogurt dressing and some more sprouts on top.