Tempeh Deli Salad
Adapted from The Kitchn
For the dressing:
- 3 tablespoons mayo
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 16 ounces tempeh, chopped into small cubes
- One 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed under cold water
- 2 small carrots, shredded
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- The original recipe didn't call for cooking the tempeh, but I steamed it in water (enough to cover) with a dash of soy sauce for about 10 minutes. I've learned that boiling it helps get rid of the bitter taste tempeh sometimes has.
- Then whisk together all dressing ingredients until combined.
- Place chickpeas, tempeh, carrot, and sunflower seeds into a medium-sized bowl, and toss with the dressing. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir in fresh basil.
- As I tossed the salad together a lot of the tempeh crumbled, which turned out to make it even more delicious, so I may just crumble the it up completely next time before adding it in.