Back to the pumpkin tortilla soup. It's a chop everything up, saute & simmer recipe. And until we sprinkled that cheddar cheese on top, it was completely vegan. Don't skip the tortilla strip garnish, or the avocado for that matter, they really make the dish. A spoonful of sour cream on top would also be a nice touch, if you're into that sort of thing.
Pumpkin Tortilla Soup (adapted slightly from here)
- 12 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chopped cilantro or parsley
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1 can pumpkin puree
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Canola oil for deep-frying
- 1-2 ripe avocados, peeled, pitted, and cubed
- Shredded cheddar cheese, for garnish
- Cut six of the tortillas into 1/2-inch squares. Heat olive oil in a large stockpot over medium heat and add onion, garlic, cilantro or parsley and chopped tortillas. Stir frequently and cook until onion is soft. Add the cumin and chili powder.
- Add the canned pumpkin, tomatoes, vegetable stock, and salt. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for one hour.
- While the soup is simmering, cut the remaining 6 tortillas in half and then into thin strips. Heat canola oil in a medium skillet over medium heat until very hot and fry tortilla strips until crisp. Move tortilla strips to a plate covered with paper towels to drain. Garnish soup with tortilla strips, avocado and cheddar cheese.