CSB if you are a local reader?) and a sparkling orange spritzer.
Classic French Onion Soup
(adapted from Christine Ingram's Vegetarian and Vegetable Cooking)
- 4 large onions, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- bay leaf
- a few sprigs of fresh thyme
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- French bread
- mozzarella cheese
- Heat the oil and butter together in a deep saucepan and add the onions. Fry the onions for a few minutes, stirring constantly, and then reduce heat and continue to cook for 45-60 minutes. Stir occasionally at the beginning, but make sure to keep an eye on them and stir constantly as they turn golden.
- Once the onions get nice and brown (the book says "rich mahogany") add in the stock, seasoning and herbs. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Lightly butter and toast the French bread. Fish out the bay leaf and sprigs of thyme. Spoon the soup into bowls, add the French bread and cheese and broil a few minutes until golden.