Crispy Peanut Butter Squares with Chocolate Chips
(adapted from The Kind Diet)
- 1 3/4 cup brown rice syrup
- 1 cup peanut butter
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 box crispy brown rice cereal*
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- Heat the brown rice syrup with a pinch of salt in a saucepan over low heat until liquefied. Add the peanut butter and stir until combined.
- Combine the syrup mixture and rice cereal in a large bowl and mix well until cereal is completely coated.
- Once thoroughly mixed and cooled to room temperature, stir in the chocolate chips.
- Spread the mixture into a 9 x 13" baking dish and refrigerate for an hour. Slice into squares and enjoy!
My mom used to make chocolate-y pb rice crispy bars when we were younger and I am happy to report that these are a nice stand-in. Apparently brown rice sugar has a low glycemic index so you don't get the sugar highs and crashes that you do with refined sweeteners. I don't have a footnote for that, but I'm sure you Google something and either verify or disclaim that. Regardless, these are an easy, no-bake treat- convenient enough to throw a few in your bag for a midday energy boost or travel snack.